Wednesday, October 17, 2007

How can we help?

While I sit waiting, I think back to our trip to meet Aubryella. We are so blessed with amazing friends like the Mendoza's to take us under their wings and let us stay with them. Albert, Karen and their 4 kids are all missionaries in Guatemala. They are originally from Loveland but have spent the last several years living in Guatemala sharing God's love. One of the ways they have been able to do this is by running a feeding center. When we were there, we were able to visit the feeding center and were really taken back by what we saw. As we drove in a not so great area of Guatemala City, we pulled up to a small fenced in building. As soon as Albert got out of his car, several kids came running and wrapped their arms around him! We were able to spend some time with the kids there. Sean kicked the ball with some of the boys. Mikayla, Alyssa, Aubryella and I played jump rope with some of the girls. Although we could not understand them and they could not understand (Spanish vs. English) us, we quickly developed a bond with these kids. As Albert told us some of the stories of these young children, my heart hurt for them. I wanted to take them all home with me( I think Sean gets scared when I say that)! As we drove away from the feeding center, Alyssa said to us, "That could have been Aubryella's life if we weren't able to adopt her".
It has been heavy on my heart that I need to do more to help those kids. We are taking something very special from Guatemala, and I want to be able to leave something there. We asked Albert how we could help with the feeding center, and he said that at Christmas time they always try to buy a gift for all of the kids. The only gift these kids will get. This is getting harder for the Mendoza's to do on their own. With 4 kids of their own and all the bills of the feeding center, it really adds up. We want to help this year so we are asking our friends and family to pray about how they can help. Whether it be praying for all of them or donating money to help get all the kids a Christmas gift. I have posted some pictures below of some of the kids from the feeding center.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thinking about and praying for you as you await to bring her home.